Monday 1 April 2013

The Vincent Brothers by Abbi Glines


About the book
The Vincent Brothers is the second book in The Vincent Boys series by Abbi Glines. It was published (pb) by Hot Key Books on 7th March and the book is 208 pages long.

Synopsis (Taken from Goodreads.com)
Sawyer Vincent is still heartbroken over his breakup with Ashton Gray - made worse because he lost her to his brother - but Lana McDaniel thinks she might just have a cure. Lana's lived in her cousin Ashton's shadow all her life, but now she's taking the lead and is determined to make Sawyer her man. But can she be sure that Sawyer's not just using her to get back at Ashton? And what if Sawyer sees through her new sexy version of herself and discovers the shy, geeky girl she used to be?

What I thought
The Vincent Boys was one of my favourite New Adult books that I first read and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on more from Abbi Glines, especially this book. I wanted it so much that I pre-ordered it, something that I haven’t done with a book for so long now.

The Vincent Brothers takes place not long after the end of The Vincent Boys with main characters having just graduated high school and ready to spend their summer having a hell of a lot of fun. Ash and Beau are now a couple but Sawyer is still down about it.  Ash’s cousin Lana has spent her time back at home giving herself a serious make over so that she can finally get the attention of Sawyer now that she’s spending the summer with Ash. The book, is told with a dual narrative from both Sawyer and Lana which means we get to find out how each one is feeling.

Unfortunately, I can’t say that I loved Sawyer as much as I loved Beau. In this book, Sawyer is a completely different person to the one we first meet in The Vincent Boys. No longer is he the sweet and considerate guy who was once with Ash but instead, we get a bit of an asshole in his place. To begin with, the only reason why he wants anything to do with Lana is to make Ash jealous, which immediately made me dislike him a little bit. While he does redeem himself at times, he was still far from perfect. He drops Lana without any notice at times and then begs his way back into her life. However, there were good things about Sawyer too. He realised that he was not the same person without Ash and it made him able to explore who he really is. I did like seeing him come out of his shell more and for him to be more adventurous and fun.

I really liked Lana though, which is maybe why I disliked Sawyer a bit. Before the summer, she was very much the quiet and reserved girl next door but after deciding she wanted to get Sawyer for herself, she made herself over. I don’t really agree with changing so much about yourself for a guy but it worked. I felt sorry for Lana quite a lot of the time though because she put up with so much from near enough everyone in her life. I could totally understand the way she acted sometimes and her reactions to certain situations, even if she did go over the top a few times.

If you’re looking for a steamy book, this one definitely does the trick although not quite as steamy as The Vincent Boys. The chemistry between Sawyer and Lana was extremely intense and I really loved the scenes between the two. Both characters are quite inexperienced when it comes to relationships and sex (even with Sawyer and Ash being together for years) and it was nice to see them finding out who they are and what they wanted with each other. I think that while these scenes were not nearly as hot as in The Vincent Boys, they were a bit more realistic and fun at the same time.

The plot was a bit predictable at times but it was also very entertaining. There is quite a lot going on throughout the whole book and with the reintroduction of some secondary characters, there are plenty of personalities going around. Summers are perfect settings for these kinds of books because it means that words are not wasted on days in school. The summer allows the plot to be fun and free and enables the characters do to some great things like going camping together. It was nice to see other characters included in the story so that it wasn’t all about Sawyer and Ash the whole time. I also really liked the ending of this book, which really wrapped things up with Sawyer, Ash, Beau and Lana.

While I didn’t love this as much as The Vincent Boys, I did still really enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment